Music Ministry at TUUC
It wouldn’t be church without music, and it wouldn’t be TUUC without music that reflects the eclectic range of ideas and talents that a church like ours attracts. From Bach to bluegrass, Chopin to show tunes, you’ll hear it all at TUUC . . . and maybe help create it as well.
Our Music Director: Tracy Hall
Ms. Hall holds a B.M. in Piano/Music Education, an M.L.S. in Library Science, and an M.M. in Vocal Performance. Her most recent and lengthy voice study was with soprano Amy Burton (Metropolitan Opera, New York City Opera) in New York City. In addition to her musical experiences, she was a public librarian for 15 years.
Ms. Hall has extensive experience and training in opera, concert singing, private voice and piano teaching, and church music. She loves dancing; pop, soul, world music, and chant; and she is active in additional spiritual communities.
Please contact Ms. Hall if you are interested in helping with music in any way at TUUC. She is also available for private voice teaching.
Ms. Hall may be contacted by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
• TUUC Choir — Our Choir sings at church services and for special occasions from September to June, performing music that crosses a range of genres, including classical, gospel, international, Broadway, pop, folk, and the occasional novelty tune. The Choir rehearses on Thursday nights, and typically sings at two or three services a month. Newcomers are welcome—whether you’ve been performing in choirs all your life or have never sung to anything except your shower curtain, you’re encouraged to give it a try. Contact Music Director Tracy Hall to learn more.
• TUUC Drum Circle — The Drum Circle is a dedicated group of musicians who share an interest in ethnic drumming, hand percussion, and the spiritual aspects of rhythmic interaction. Meetings range from free-form jams to professionally run workshops. No experience is necessary to join, and you don’t have to own your own drum. For more information, contact Music Director Tracy Hall.
• Monthly Jam Sessions — One Sunday evening every month, musicians of every type and talent level get together at TUUC for an evening of anything-goes music. We do folk, rock, soul, world music, chant, jazz, blues, and other styles. See the calendar for dates and times, or contact Music Director Tracy Hall for more information.
TUUC has long been a stage, a catalyst, and an incubator for an impressive range of musical talent. We’re home to the acclaimed chamber-music series Music in the Great Hall, as well as the following musicians who’ve grown up among us.
• The Bald Mountain Band — BMB began when four follicly challenged but musically gifted guys played bluegrass for a 2008 TUUC church service. The band—no longer all guys, or all bald, or all bluegrass—plays at restaurants, bars, and parties throughout the Baltimore area and still, frequently, at TUUC.
• Once Around the Horn — Playing a style of music they call “eclectic blues,” this band that came together in a Baltimore basement features several TUUC members.
• The Silverbacks — A jazz quintet with deep roots in TUUC, the Silverbacks reinvent classics from the likes of John Coltrane, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Thelonious Monk, and others, often accompanied by the mellifluous vocals of TUUC’s Marianna Mujica.
• Deborah “Spice” Kleinmann — A deep vein of social activism runs through many of the songs this talented singer-songwriter performs. The same can be said of Spice herself, an educator and activist who performs for kids’ groups and others throughout the region, and often adds her own signature spice to TUUC services.
Lend Us Your Talents
Looking for an excuse to get your old saxophone out of the closet or relearn that piano sonata from high school? TUUC offers abundant opportunities for members and friends to share their music talents. These range from longer-term commitments (such as with the Choir) to one-time performances during church services. We especially appreciate help during the summer months, when vacation schedules kick in and our Lay Worship Associates coordinate services. Music Director Tracy Hall has a special skill for incorporating new talent. Contact her if you’d like to volunteer.
Tall Trees Concert Series
TUUC plays host to the Tall Trees Concert Series, an increasingly popular addition to the Greater Baltimore music scene that features folk, rock, funk, bluegrass, jazz, and other kinds of music. Arty Hill, Danny Burns, Boister, Ellen Cherry, Caleb Stine, Letitia VanSant, and many other talented local and national artists have taken the Tall Trees stage. Visit the Tall Trees Facebook page, or check out the upcoming schedule at TicketLeap or ReverbNation.
Rent Our Performance Space
Contemporary design, an idyllic setting in the woods, and most importantly, great acoustics make TUUC an ideal concert venue. Baltimore’s Handel Choir rehearses here. The Tall Trees Concert Series and Music in the Great Hall hold their performances here. To learn how you, too can make beautiful music in this great space, contact the TUUC Church Administrator.